Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day Two, Walk for Life. April 1, 2008


Day two started with a 4:30am wake up. I was walking by 5am. I had only slept about 2 hours. The campaign to end capital punishment goes beyond the walk including writing this blog, putting together the video blogs, answering e-mails, doing interviews it's a full time job with plenty of over time.

I have to admit my body was sore, my feet were tender but I had to block all that out for this day I was walking for Brett Hartmann an innocent man on Ohio's death row. For sceptics reading this guilt or innocents has nothing to do with it, I am about forgiveness and preserving human life no matter what. I in truth only got to briefly read up on Brett's case but let me go beyond that, his family. Brett's family were with me in spirit as I walked, I could feel them. The amount of love they have for Brett is an inspiration alone.
For Brett his family sent me a custom shirt with his name on the back mine on the front very nice shirt. They also sent me like 5 packages of fliers to hand out bringing light to Brett's case. On top of that they made a donation and have written me a number of touching letters. I even got a letter from Brett. I have to say that yes the love involved here helped me get through day two.
There were a lot of hills on day two of the walk, not steep hills just long ones and I am talking one right after another. These are unforeseen things when you are looking at the map. Between the hills and stopping to tell people about Brett and the walk we didn't cover as much ground as day one, but we still managed to make our mark. Let me add the scenery was incredible. Once we were near the Delaware border there were some really breath taking scenes. My favorite was watching about a dozen white tail running through a field. I have never seen anything like it. It was really incredible.
My comrade Therapist did an exceptional job on the roadside assistance. I really wish he could stick around for the entire walk. We spoke to a lot of people. A quick stop at a Starbucks turned into a death penalty conference. I wanna say thank you to the people at Starbucks for the extra shot of espresso that got me through the last few miles.
I have to also thank everyone who called the radio stations in Maryland and Washington DC. The walk is growing by the day and I have it continues to grow. I pray more people get involved and that those already involved get more involved. This is how we will win this battle. Till next time. Peace and love, peace and love. "X"

2 comments:

thinkinkmesa said...

Thank you so much for this day!
Our hope is that capital punishment, an antiquated faulty system, will soon be a thing of the past.
I can't be there to walk with you...but we are walking here where we are.
We are proud to join your effort to bring awareness to the death penalty issue.

Debbie said...

You are truly an inspiration... stay strong and stay healthy... talk to you soon my friend. :) xo
Debbie